Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Buzz about books!

I have started reading A.D. Chronicles Second Touch by: Bodie and Brock Thoene. Let me just say that I was already crying tears of joy, sadness, and excitement in the first chapter! The words in these books just overwhelm me! Here is one of my favorite parts already in the book...

Lily is a young lady who is a leper. She was forced to leave her home and town when she was 12 years old:( Cantor is a young man who also is a leper but I don't know much about his back ground. They both live in the Valley of Mak'ob. This is part of a conversation they are having...

She said quietly, hoping, "Yet El Shaddai knows our names. Knows our stories. Lily. Cantor. He hears us when we cry to him." Cantor agreed. "And one day we who have suffered in the Valley of Sorrow will stand alongside those who drove us away. Those who might have helped but turned from our suffering." Lily imagined the moment. "They will see our souls, shining. Those who stoned us and hated us. Those who declared that we must deserve to suffer deserve to suffer. Those who accused God of causing our suffering! Accused God of causing the suffering of the children dying in the cave!" Cantor shifted the weight of the water jar. "Those who were blessed with whole and healthy bodies. Then they will be judge by how they used their gifts on earth. Their health and wealth." Lily frowned. "Oh, Cantor, there are so many who hurt worse than me. I'm nothing in all this. All the little ones. Calling for their mothers in the night. I'm nothing." " You are everything, Lily. Oh, that I could be more like you! Because when they cry out, you go to them and hold them as they die. Weep for them as if you were their mother." "Because I hurt too." "Yes. You feel. No leprosy in your heart, Lily. And think of this and be glad! You and I and all the little ones...our souls will stand as equals with everyone who ever lived. Yes! Stand before the Lord of heaven." "I believe every knee will bow before him. Every voice will proclaim his name. It's all I have left to hold on too." "Soul to soul. Yes. Equal. We will stand without these corrupted bodies. Our accusers will stand without their possessions or wealth or success or any of the things by which an earthy life if valued. Then the lives of all mankind will be reviewed by the One, the Righteous Judge." Lily smiled. It was good to talk of olam hava, the life of the world to come. "Rabbi Ahava says on that day the Knower of Secrets will revel every secret thought. Every good deed will be rewarded and every neglected kindness will be clearly seen. Beneath the gaze of the Lord, darkness will become light." With his gentle hand Cantor touched Lily's shoulder. "And we'll know the truth of who among mankind was merciful and whole. And also whose half-eaten hearts were beating inside trivial existence. We'll know who secretly blessed others. Helped the helpless. Touched the untouchables. No, more than that...who embraced the untouchables. Ah, Lily. My Lily. You will be the most beautiful soul of all...shining. I know I will see you on that day. And I am glad I came to this place and was allowed to love you."

Wow! It's still just as powerful as the first time I read it! It really makes you think. I encourage you to run out and buy these books today!!!

2 comments:

ohAmanda said...

I think I'm going to start reading these again! I LOVE this book. Keep me updated on where you are in it!

Cindy said...

Oh, Brandy- there are just no better books than those by the Thoenes. This is a particularly good series- although they all are! You will gain a brand new love,appreciation and understanding of Scripture and Bible time culture as well as the context of the NT. Keep reading!!